There are times in which you as the application provider want to connect to your Apprenda-managed database using SQL Server Management Studio (or another management tool).
The Cloud Control section of the Developer Portal can be used to retrieve database connection information. Below are the steps in order to retrieve the server and database name and credentials that have been provisioned specifically for developer use.
- With your application deployed to either Sandbox or Published. Click on the link to the Cloud Control Panel (http://docs.apprenda.com/current/cloud-control)
- Click on Data Storage (http://docs.apprenda.com/current/data-storage).
- Click on the link for the Partition that houses the database(s) you wish to access.
- Click on the View Connection String link on the right side of the window.
- Use the provided information to connect to the DB through SSMS or your chosen management tool.
It is important to note that the account that is provisioned and available through the Platform for developer use is very limited. You will be able to perform basic CRUD access against the data but will not be able to modify anything related to the schema.
In order to change the DB structure, you should use the Apprenda patching process (http://docs.apprenda.com/current/patching-redesign). When patching an Apprenda application, changes to the database must be packaged as patching scripts (and referenced in a Deployment Manifest) as described here. A fuller description of database patching mechanics can be found here.